Proper carpet cleaning is necessary if you want to improve your indoor air quality, maintain your carpet warranty and keep it looking great at all times. The appearance of your carpet fully depends on the care it receives. The good news is that carpet cleaning is not as hard as you think it is. All you need to know is the correct method to clean your carpet and which cleaning products best suit your carpet.
Steps for Proper Carpet Care
Carpet cleaning involves developing a cleaning routine that ensures your carpet stays spotless. Below are some easy ways to keep your carpet looking brand new:
- Clean spills and spots immediately: Use products that will not cause the carpet to become dirty again faster or spoil the carpet.
- Vacuum regularly: Do this frequently and regularly especially in high traffic areas to prevent accumulation of dirt.
- Stop dirt at the door: Use mats inside and outside of your house, change your air filters to minimize airborne dust particles and take your shoes off when entering the house.
- Deep clean your carpets: Hire professional carpet cleaners to deep clean your carpets by removing embedded grime and dirt every 12 to 18 months.
Vacuuming and Carpet Cleaning
Vacuuming is one of the most effective and easiest ways to keep your carpet clean. Vacuuming regularly also improves the quality of your indoor air as it removes dirt, particles, allergens and dust. Remember these easy tips to get the most out of your vacuuming:
- Do not ignore crevices and corners while vacuuming. Dust tends to build up in such places.
- Empty or replace vacuum bags once they are half full to improve the efficacy of the vacuum.
- Vacuuming should be a slow and steady process. A quick once-over will not do the trick.
- Dust windowsills, blinds and furniture first before vacuuming.
You should vacuum at least once a week to maintain the integrity of your carpet. This however depends on the foot traffic over your carpet. The more the traffic, the more you will need to vacuum.
How to Clean Spills and Spots
Many carpets today are stain-resistant and this makes cleaning spills and spots a lot easier. However, treating stains and spots should be done quickly and with the right cleaning solution to ensure the stains do not stick. The cleaning spills and stains can be done in two easy steps:
Absorb the spill by blotting the liquid with a dry, white cloth or plain white paper towels. Do this until the area is barely damp. Do not use a brush or scrub since scrubbing and brush bristles can damage the carpet.
Treat the stain using a CRI Certified carpet cleaning product. Make sure to follow the product’s directions carefully. Put a small amount of cleaner to a white cloth and gently work it into the carpet, from the edges of the stain all the way through to the center. Afterwards, blot that area of the carpet with clear water to remove any remaining product.
At Reilly’s Oriental Rug Cleaning, we use high quality cleaning equipment and solutions to remove tough stains and dirt from your carpet. For more information about our wall-to-wall carpet cleaning services contact us at 201-445-0800 or email us on Info@RugClean.net today!